vegetarian spring rolls
6 spring roll wrappers
1/2 block firm or extra firm tofu
1 large ripe avocado, cut into thin slices
2 large carrots, cut into very thin slices
1/2 cucumber (seeds removed), cut into very thin slices
12 basil leaves
1 Tbsp Sesame oil
2 tsp gluten free tamari or gluten free soy sauce
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
4 tsp gluten free tamari or gluten free soy sauce
1 tsp Sriracha sauce
1. Prepare the tofu. Open tofu package and drain water. Remove tofu and place on a clean kitchen towel. Wrap the tofu like a package and lightly press. Allow tofu to sit for a few minutes for water to be absorbed. Then, cut tofu into finger size slices. The remainder of the tofu that you use can be returned to a glass storage container and filled with water and then refrigerated.
2. Heat a saucepan with sesame oil. Once hot, add the tofu. Turn the tofu to allow all sides to develop and somewhat crispy crust. When the tofu is mostly toasted on all sides, drizzle with 2 tsp of gluten free tamari or soy sauce. Remove tofu from pan and set aside.
3. Mix sauce ingredients together in a separate bowl.
4. Take a spring roll wrapper and drop in a large pot filled with water. Pot should be at least the diameter of the spring roll. Let sit for 15-20 seconds until softened. Note: wrappers will be delicate. Place the wrappers on either a damp kitchen towel or a large plastic cutting board.
5. At this point, you are ready to assemble each spring roll. In the middle of the wrapper, add 2 basil slices, followed by avocado, carrots, cucumber and 3-4 slices of seared tofu. Then, spread several teaspoons of sauce around the edges of the ingredients.
6. Carefully, fold the top and bottom ends over the ingredients and then wrap one side and then the other. Use any remaining sauce as a dip.